“I would like to commend Barry for a very professional, intelligent and positive handling of my case … his handling of the situation was the very best anyone could expect … thus saving me thousands of dollars in legal fees.” — Joseph C. More Client Comments
Links to other helpful divorce mediation websites, organizations, books, etc.
- Telling your Children about Divorce — a handout I created with specific approaches, themes and techniques for how to tell your children about the decision to divorce in the most constructive manner possible.
- Advice from Adult Children of Divorced Parents – helpful advice for divorcing parents from adult children of divorce.
- Research on the Negative Effects of Parental Conflict on Children – this handout documents the findings of eleven different books and studies showing the negative impact that conflict between parents has on the children.
- Strategies for Living under the Same Roof during a Divorce – describes an approach for minimizing conflict when divorcing couples need to continue to live together while getting divorced.
Courts Encourage Mediation in Divorce – Even the courts are recommending mediation: “The Superior Court of the County of San Francisco strongly encourage the resolution of family law matters through the use of alternative dispute resolution procedures.”
Sesame Street’s “Little Children, Big Challenges: Divorce” – this is a great tool kit of videos, tips for parents, an e-book and a coloring book for children. The videos are geared to be very accessible for preschool-aged children and are both informative and reassuring.
Resources for Parents
- Up to Parents — A free, confidential, and interactive website for divorcing and divorced parents.
- Parents Guide to Helping Children through Divorce — Article on things that parents can do to help their children deal with divorce in a more productive manner.
- Helping Your Child through a Divorce — Article on ways to lower the stress of divorce on children.
- Helping Children Understand Divorce — Article with advice on talking with children about divorce and specific information on how children understand divorce at different ages.
- Helping Infants and Toddlers Adjust to Divorce — Article with very specific advice on addressing the needs of Infants and Toddlers according to their developmental stage.
- DivorceCare — Listing of church-based support groups.
- Better Parenting, Better Divorce — Divorce parenting classes held right in the South Bay.
Helpful Books for Parents include:
- Helping Your Kids Cope with Divorce the Sandcastles Way – Neuman
- The Good Divorce – Ahrons
- Mom’s House, Dad’s House – Ricci
- Putting Children First – Pedro-Carroll
- The Truth about Children and Divorce – Emery
- Divorce Book for Parents – Lansky”
Resources for Children
- Families Change — A Kids’ Guide to Separation and Divorce.
- Kids First — A list of helpful books for children and parents going through divorce.
- A Kid’s Guide to Divorce — Article about the basics of divorce written specifically for children.
- Kids in the Middle — Site with specific advice for children on how to stay out of, or get out of, the middle of the divorce.
- Divorce and Teens — Site with specific advice for teens going through divorce.
- A Teen’s Guide to Divorce — Article about the basics of divorce written specifically for teens.
Helpful Books for Children include:
- It’s Not Your Fault Koko Bear – Lansky (for young children)
- Family Changes – Maker (for young children)
- Two Homes – Masurel (for young children)
- Dinosaurs Divorce: A Guide for Changing Families – Brown and Brown
- Mom’s House, Dad’s House for Kids – Ricci
- My Family’s Changing – Thomas
- Divorce Is Not the End of the World: Zoe’s and Evan’s Coping Guide for Kids – Stern (for older children and teenagers; written by two children)
- The Divorce Express – Danziger (for teenagers)
- A Smart Girl’s Guide to her Parents’ Divorce – Holyoke (for teenage girls)
- Association of Family & Conciliation Courts
- California Association of Marriage & Family Therapists
- TherapistFinder.com (Marriage & Relationship section) — For finding a therapist; also has good info on how to tell children about divorce, etc.
- Southern CA Mediation Association
- California Courts Online Self-Help Center
- LA County Superior Court Family site
- California Family Code Online
General Divorce Sites
- Mediate.com — General mediation site with articles and information on all types of mediation including divorce mediation.
- DivorceSource.com — Online divorce magazine with articles, subject-specific information, forums and other general resources.
- DivorceSupport.com — Online divorce magazine with articles, subject-specific information, forums and other general resources.
- DivorceNet.com — Online divorce magazine with articles, subject-specific information, forums and other general resources.